“While sitting down to dinner one night, my grandfather started to choke.” said Kenny. Kenny’s mother adds her father has Parkinson’s Disease. While she got up started to call 911 for help, Kenny asked his grandfather if he was choking. Kenny stood up and tried to use the Heimlich maneuver on him, but the chair was keeping him from being able to put his arms aroundhim fully. He pulled the chair out and continued his efforts.
“After about 9 or 10 times my grandfather, coughed up the food. Then my mom told the 911 operator to cancel the call. But, just as we were about to leave to go to a Scout meeting a Fire truck drove up. They were following up to be sure everything was okay,” explained Kenny.
Kenny learned practical life-saving procedures and his grandfather Roger is here today because of it! Coastal Breeze News declares Kenny Gaskin a LOCAL HERO! Kenny was given a “Do the Right Thing Award’ in December from the Collier County Sheriff’s Department after he found some pills on a sidewalk and turned them over to a deputy. Congratulations Kenny!
If you know of someone you feel qualifies as a local hero, please contact us.