The Marco Island Civil Air Patrol recently held its Change-of Command Ceremony at the Marco Island Executive Airport. The ceremony included the incoming Squadron Commander Capt. Robert Corriveau assuming command from the outgoing commander Lt. Colonel Lee Henderson, who has been the commander since 2006.
The change of command ceremony is a military tradition that represents great symbolism to this formal transfer of authority and responsibility for a unit from one commanding officer to another. The passing of the Colors from an outgoing commander to an incoming one ensures that the unit and its members are never without official leadership, a continuation of trust, and also signifies an allegiance of the members to their unit’s new commander.
The ceremony opened with the presentation of the Colors by the Civil Air Patrol Charlotte County Composite Squadron 6-Cadet Color Guard. The audience then recited the Pledge of Allegiance. The national anthem was sung solo by Nancy Damico followed by the Invocation by Colonel (Ret.) Frank Damico.
The following special guests were introduced:
• Joe Batte, Marco Island City Council
• Bob Sargent, a WWII Veteran, CAP Squadron Supporter and generous donor to the Marco Island Veteran’s Park
• Lee Rubinstein, Commander Marco Island American Legion Post 404
• Bob Boone, First Chief of Police of Marco Island
• Lt Colonel Dave Moruzzi, Past Southeast Region Assistant Chief of Staff-Operations
• Lt Colonel Ray Rosenberg, Commander Florida Wing Group 5 and formerly Past Commander Marco Island Senior Squadron
• Lt Colonel Jim Kaletta, Deputy Commander Florida Wing Group 5
• Lt Colonel Lee Frank, Past Commander of Marco Island Senior Squadron
• Capt Judy Schiff, Commander of Naples CAP Senior Squadron